History of Silver Lake, IN

 

History of Silver Lake, INSilver Lake, IN is a scenic waterfront town situated within Kosciusko County. The town encompasses more than half of Silver Lake and is slowly becoming one of the top-selling real estate locations. Despite still having a small population of a little below 1000 residents, the town underwent a record population growth of 67.6% in the period between 2000 and 2010. This growth was attributed to the great infrastructure, a growing downtown area, family friendliness, and high livability of the town.

History of Silver Lake, IN

Just like most of Indiana, the first known inhabitants of the Silver Lake area were the Paleo-Indians. They arrived in the Indiana area sometimes after the Ice Age and lived a nomadic life. There were three other unique generations of Ingenious People that inhabited and later disappeared from the Indiana area before the arrival of the Algonquian family which dominated the region when the European settlers started moving in. The first European contact with Indiana native tribes happened sometime in the 1600s.

Although Silver Lake Town was mapped out in 1859, the tows post office is said to have been operational since early 1854s. Initially, the town was assigned the name Silver Lakeville. The name was later changed to Silver Lake, allegedly due to its location on the shores of Silver Lake. Silver Lake’s historical district which covers a total of 19 buildings in the downtown area of the town is said to have developed roughly between the early 1860s and the early 1920s. The district boast of being home to numerous classic architectural styles including Early Commercial, Romanesque Revival, Classical Revival, and Italianate.

Today, Silver Lake is a modern up-and-coming suburban community. Its location between Michigan City, Indianapolis and Fort Wayne makes it a designated bedroom community and one of the most promising towns in Kosciusko County. The town’s location next to Silver Lake also gives it a great potential of being a prominent family fun destination.

Silver Lake covers an area of 1.38 km2 comprised mainly of land with the only notable water body touching the town being Silver Lake. Statistical data collected during the 2010 census revealed there were around 245 families and a total of 366 households in Silver Lake. The town is a predominantly white community with 97.7% of the total population being White. The remaining 2.3% is made up of African Americans, Native Americans, Asians, other races, and people of Hispanic or Latino descent. The population of the town has a median age of 38.1 years and the total number of women exceeds the number of men by around 3 percent.